Subiaco is probably best known for its cricket and Australian rules stadium, though just around the corner are some excellent examples of terraced housing. Built in 1904, this row of eight Italianate style terrace homes presents as two rows of four homes and is significant on a number of accounts. Firstly it is a rare architectural bearer of the emblem of the black swan, a symbol of Western
Australia (formerly the Swan River colony) which appears on the two centre pediments of each row. It is not known where the name originated.1 The row also features a rare cast iron balustrade panel and is a late follower of a style made popular in the eastern states during the Victorian era.
- City of Subiaco walking tours ↩
The railway barracks at Albury is an important heritage registered row of 8 cottages built in 1890 as temporary rest houses for coach staff1 and believed to be the oldest of its kind remaining in Australia.
Currently in derelict condition with extensive boardings and graffiti it is protected on the NSW Heritage register. As part of the ongoing Albury railway station redevelopment urban renewal project it is being preserved for future adaptive reuse.
- Albury Railway Precinct. NSW Heritage ↩
The first in our regional series on Goulburn in New South Wales, this impressive row of three impressive row of three consisting of two triple storey with attic and one single storey currently operates as the Alpine Heritage Motel. It was once a symmetrical arrangement of four terrace houses built in 1872 and modified in 1880. In 1893, the separate houses were conjoined to become a temperance hotel known as “Metropolitan Coffee Palace”1 and later “Stock’s Coffee Palace”.2 The terrace to the left was demolished at a later date and an attic level was added during conversion to accommodation in the 1990s.
Once in a row of either seven or eight, this pair is all that remains of the Georgian revival (or Colonnial Regency) styled Horbury Terrace. Named after Horbury in Yorkshire England, which was the home of owner Thomas Holt it was built for Ouseley Condell. The houses were triple storey with basements. Details of its construction vary by source with some sources quoting a construction date of 18361 while the official plaque on the building from the Royal Australian Historical Society states 1842, engravings of it date to 1848.2
This impressive row of eight double storey boom style polychrome terraces, captured by Alastair Lamont, is situated close to the “Windy Hill” Essendon football ground (home of AFL’s Essendon Bombers). Suprisingly for such a rare substantial suburban row, these homes are not even afforded local heritage protection under the Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme.1 Though they appear to be generally well looked after and highly sought after.
- Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme ↩
Central Newcastle has some distinctive gems of terrace housing and this one, built in 1900, and situated on the corner of Stevenson Place and Telford Street with views over the foreshore park and the Hunter River is definitely one of them. The eclectic Anglo-Dutch, Queen-Anne and Mannerist styled red brick terrace likely named for the village in Herefordshire England, has a number of quite quirky features including the way it addresses its corner site, art-noveau styled signwriting and mannerist elements.