The group of seven modest double storey working class terraces was built in 1890 to the design of H.M. Parlett on land beside the former Bedggood shoe factory in a narrow poorly planned street typical of those in the Richmond Hill area. It is actually two rows separated by a very narrow lane and slightly stepped up the hill from one another, a row of four and the higher row of three.
Terrace Houses: 12-24 Waltham Place, Richmond. Melbourne, Victoria
The terraces, with verandahs built to the property line are missing their iron lacework fringes, one of their few decorative features, but a couple retain their iron palisade fence. There is no parapet, however the roof is barely visible above the deep cornice, however it is a long corrugated iron gable with just a couple of chimneys. The party walls do not project at all, except for the verandah where they are dressed with simple vermiculation and classical corbels. There are two plain double hung windows on each house’s upper storey, and a single window on the ground floor. The facade is of red brick with string courses of a lighter brick colour crossing the tops of the windows and the discretely projecting sills. The doors are plain with a glass window opening above them.
The terraces have a local classification from the National Trust of Victoria (B7372), however some legal protection is offered via the Yarra City heritage overlay HO332 (Richmond Hill Precinct).
Mail (will not be published) (required)