Historic Portland, Victoria’s first settlement and early whaling colony has a number of remnant timber and bluestone cottages that are similar in some ways to terrace housing. This unusual single storey row of three terraces was the result of a 1913-14 extension of a former hotel known as the “Builder’s Inn”, one of Portland’s earliest hotels originally erected in 1849.
The original Georgian era hotel is in the centre and features fluted Doric pilasters. The hipped roof is in corrugated iron. The gabled timber structures on either side create the row and were built to march up the gentle slope of Gawler Street with Victorian style cast iron decorated bullnosed verandahs with fringe brackets and drops framing their respective entryways. It is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.1
The building’s heritage value was first recognised in the Glenelg – Portland Urban Conservation Study of 1981.2
During the building’s life it has operated as residences, a bed & breakfast and also offices.