Pyrmont has some impressive long stretches of terrace houses. While the vast majority were built in Sydney’s Harris and Macarthur estates during the 1870s and 1880s with decorative iron lace, some earlier sandstone georgian working class terraces survive. The fact that this working class row of ten was built in brick as early as 1860 sets it apart.
The terrace houses at 3-21 Paternoster Row split levels slightly to follow the gently sloping terrain of the street. Plain except for a cornice parapet decoration composed of diagonal brick hedging and a dotted line of projecting bricks they were originally in exposed brick. Although most have since been painted, a couple have been sanblasted to reveal their original brickwork. The doorways were originally round arched and the windows flat arched with stone sills however some have since been modified with adjacent houses joined together to create more space and the resulting entry and window configurations have interfered with the rhythm of the street. The row may have originally been twelve and originated at the corner of Union Street, however number 1 was presumably demolished in the 1880s to make way for the newer house which is still extant.
The small one way lane of Paternoster Row was named after a street in London (which is unfortunately lost to wartime bombings).
This row was heritage listed with local significance by the City of Sydney from the Pyrmont/Ultimo Heritage Study of 1990 and was identified by previous conservation reports.1
- City of Sydney heritage file 2424459 ↩