This row of three single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces mid way along the block is probably most notable for sporting a rare piece of Australiana – a kookaburra motif in its iron lacework. According to expert on cast iron lacework Graeme Robertson, just a couple examples of this pattern in use exist, and one of them, at 16 Chatsworth Road, Prahran was demolished a couple of decades ago. The terraces were built in 1888 as homes for Ballarat’s middle class. This may be the only row of terraces existing in Australia with this pattern.
The houses marches down the hill are a similar but more decorative style to others on the street. The terraces themselves are decorated with a dichromatic brick in patterns. Two columns support the filligree verandahs. The roof features eave brackets of shaped double brick. The visible low pitched profile with two banded chimneys each with decorative brick cornices and twin terracotta pots servicing a set of four main rooms at the front of each house.
333 has had its outbuildings demolished in favour of a modern extension and has an out of context colourbond roof.
One of the terraces, 337 was home to Corporal Norman D’Angri of the 31st Battalion, who was killed in action 26 September 1917.1
The terraces are offered local heritage protection as part of the City of Ballarat’s heritage overlay HO170.