Although it has the outward appearance of the 1880s, this row of five Victorian era terraces is one of Sydney’s earliest, dating as far back as 1842. They were recently sold by NSW public housing for a handsome sum of money to private owners. The terraces were built by whaler Charles Grimes in the early 1840s and were depicted in artist Conrad Marten’s work in 1843. The row was completed sometime around 1848 and were originally modest shingle roofed cottages with single storey verandahs and originally had uninterrupted harbour views.1
Two storey verandahs were added to all but 60 which retains its original verandah configuration and they were dressed in Victorian iron lace, probably in 1880 including grille columns, popular in Sydney at the time.
Since 1897 they have operated as boarding homes and were acquired at some stage as government housing.
Architecturally the parapet is a simply flat cornice, hiding a steeply pitched corrugated iron roof, protruding party walls and chimneys with clusters of five pots on either side providing each home with ample fireplaces. Each facade is divided into three bays and there are three sets of French windows above, two double hung windows below and a six panel Victorian door with arch fanlight with typical halls running in parallel. The verandah bullnoses out to meet the property line and at least one verandah roof is painted in 1860s banding. The party walls on the verandah feature simple scroll decorations. The highlight, however is the delicate iron lacework, featuring open grille columns on the upper verandah and panelled balustrade patterning. A frieze on the lower is framed in wood dividing the cast iron fretwork into six patterned panels. The columns have wood flares and a similar balustrade treatment substitutes for a fence.
Like almost all of Millers Point, this terrace row has heritage protection as part of the Millers Point heritage precinct and is listed by both City of Sydney and the NSW government.