Built in 1858 by Matthew Goggs, this row of five single storey brick terraces with attic level is one of the few built in a Queensland provincial city. The photo was taken just prior to its demolition in 1936, however even then the row was showing its age. In the 1860s Ipswich, a booming mining town, rivaled penal Brisbane in terms of importance and many grand homes and terraces anticipated its further growth. However history shows that Brisbane became the colony’s capital, quickly outgrew and absorbed Ipswich in its rapidly expanding western suburbs.
The name of the terrace is clearly displayed on the mid terrace above what is a flat arched entryway to rear stables. The arched entry creates asymmetry to the otherwise simple but effective design. Prominent dormer windows feature the centre of the tiled roof of each house each which is separated by a visible party wall. The two end terraces share two sets of chimneys at the front and rear of the row. The two hipped corrugated iron roof verandahs extend to the property line, sitting above a timber slat fence, one longer than the other with wooden posts.