The first in our regional series on Goulburn in New South Wales, this impressive row of three impressive row of three consisting of two triple storey with attic and one single storey currently operates as the Alpine Heritage Motel. It was once a symmetrical arrangement of four terrace houses built in 1872 and modified in 1880. In 1893, the separate houses were conjoined to become a temperance hotel known as “Metropolitan Coffee Palace”1 and later “Stock’s Coffee Palace”.2 The terrace to the left was demolished at a later date and an attic level was added during conversion to accommodation in the 1990s.
Once in a row of either seven or eight, this pair is all that remains of the Georgian revival (or Colonnial Regency) styled Horbury Terrace. Named after Horbury in Yorkshire England, which was the home of owner Thomas Holt it was built for Ouseley Condell. The houses were triple storey with basements. Details of its construction vary by source with some sources quoting a construction date of 18361 while the official plaque on the building from the Royal Australian Historical Society states 1842, engravings of it date to 1848.2
Sydney’s central business district once contained a great many rows of substantial terraces, many of three or more stories. Many of them were mixed use. Today the landscape is far different but fortunately this row, known simply as “Young Street Terraces” has survived being one of few reminders of the Victorian boom era in the heart of town. The terrace has almost always been a government building, occupying the site of what was originally government house. Perhaps this is the reason why it stands on land around it is now occupied by skyscrapers. In 1851, the site was subdivided and in 1874 Joseph Paul Walker erected the terraces as offices leasing them to government departments.1
- Heritage NSW file 834054 ↩
Situated on Victoria Street between Challis and McDonald Street is this imposing triple storey terrace row with attics of has spectacular views westward across Woolloomooloo Bay toward the Sydney CBD, though it is difficult to photograph due to towering London plane trees in front.
Avonmore Terrace is currently a boutique hotel located opposite Alison Park in Randwick. Built in 1888 by John Walsh the triple storey row of nine terraces contains 23 rooms rich in interior detail. Pictured above is the middle terrace which is its most interesting feature.
This grand triple storey row of five houses erected in 1890 situated near Potts Point’s famous McElhone stairs is currently known as Waratah Apartments with a serviced apartments complex integrated behind the facades.
The state heritage listed terrace is notable for its rich classical styled embellishment. Victorian row houses such as this heralded Pott’s Point’s status as the ‘Regent’s Park of Sydney’.
I became aware of this small but tall row of unnamed terrace houses when Today Tonight did a story on them. Hidden in a small lane off Wickham Terrace, they are currently owned by Astor Hotel Apartments and hired out as budget accommodation. According to the segment, some guests were not happy with their apparent poor interior condition.