Pembroke Terrace is a row of six Georgian style sandstone terraced houses was built around 1860 and were among the first wave of terraced housing in Surry Hills. Originally part of a row of 21 houses completed in 1871 most of which has since been demolished, clear photographs of the terrace soon after its completion are some of the best preserved images of the nature of early speculative development in Sydney1 2, even illustrate the use of cast iron bootscrapers and early rainwater systems and attracted a mix of middle class and working class occupants.3
The terraces are stark in design, with raised party walls and slate tiled roofs culminating in squat chimneys. An ashlar faced facade (in sparrow-picked sandstone) has pairs of six panel double hung windows with stone ledges and a tiny verandah framed by stone faced party walls with a gently pitched corrugated iron roof. At the end terrace there are deliberately blind windows and the name of the terrace is inscribed on the fascia of both levels.
Pembroke Terrace is listed on several heritage registers and was identified in the South Sydney Local Environmental Plan (1998).4