Terraces aren’t as common in Kew as other Melbourne suburbs, but there are still a few around. This pair was completed in 1892 for William Grace.1 Stawell, originally known as Biggin and Princess are architecturally, the pair is fairly typical of the style seen elsewhere in Melbourne, though fewer of this style were built elsewhere in the 1890s.
The pair is probably most notable for their overall good condition with intact urns and rendered decorations including festoons, female heads, double brackets, deep cornices, double scroll corbels on the pediments and fine iron lacework balustrades, fringe, brackets and drop on the and of course the names on the pediments which conceal the hip roof.
The pair has its own heritage overlay, HO334, providing local heritage protection.2
Mail (will not be published) (required)