Posts Tagged ‘1860s’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
Hazelwood Terrace is a row of three italianate styled, elaborately and ornate stucco terraces. Howe Crescent forms part of the St Vincent Gardens street plan. These terraces were designed prior to the iron lacework trend originally designed by Clement
Hodgkinson for George Black, but with modifications by esteemed architect Charles Webb who designed Melbourne’s famous “Grand” Victorian hotel (now the Windsor).1 With a solid looking brick rendered facade modelled on stone work, this terrace is unique for the treatment of its prominent ground level balcony and arcade of classically inspired doorways.
- Heritage Victoria record H0222
This little pair of attached houses dates back to 1863 and was designed by the reknowned local architect Robert Smith Dods1. Originally each house was comprised of five rooms and a kitchen.2 The building later became known as Callender House and had long been associated with members of the church.
Pyrmont has some impressive long stretches of terrace houses. While the vast majority were built in Sydney’s Harris and Macarthur estates during the 1870s and 1880s with decorative iron lace, some earlier sandstone georgian working class terraces survive. The fact that this working class row of ten was built in brick as early as 1860 sets it apart.
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.
Located on the corner of Princess Street and Petrie Terrace, this row of four attached workers cottages on the fringe of the central business district was built in an era when Brisbane was still without public transport. Forming part of the historic Petrie Terrace group of terraces and cottages, its prominently steep gable roof is free of projecting party walls and each cottage is marked only by paired dormer windows and shared chimneys between each pair. This is probably the most rustic of the remaining working cottages with its corrugated iron roof clearly corroding. The addition of an interwar shopfront on the corner obscures one of the end terraces.