Posts Tagged ‘1863’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
This little pair of attached houses dates back to 1863 and was designed by the reknowned local architect Robert Smith Dods1. Originally each house was comprised of five rooms and a kitchen.2 The building later became known as Callender House and had long been associated with members of the church.
Located on the corner of Princess Street and Petrie Terrace, this row of four attached workers cottages on the fringe of the central business district was built in an era when Brisbane was still without public transport. Forming part of the historic Petrie Terrace group of terraces and cottages, its prominently steep gable roof is free of projecting party walls and each cottage is marked only by paired dormer windows and shared chimneys between each pair. This is probably the most rustic of the remaining working cottages with its corrugated iron roof clearly corroding. The addition of an interwar shopfront on the corner obscures one of the end terraces.