Posts Tagged ‘1875’
Sydney’s central business district once contained a great many rows of substantial terraces, many of three or more stories. Many of them were mixed use. Today the landscape is far different but fortunately this row, known simply as “Young Street Terraces” has survived being one of few reminders of the Victorian boom era in the heart of town. The terrace has almost always been a government building, occupying the site of what was originally government house. Perhaps this is the reason why it stands on land around it is now occupied by skyscrapers. In 1851, the site was subdivided and in 1874 Joseph Paul Walker erected the terraces as offices leasing them to government departments.1
- Heritage NSW file 834054 ↩
Lorne Terrace was built in 1875 by William Jarrett1. Notable for the use of the post-Regency Georgian style, a style fairly common in Glebe for the Industrial Building Society2. Architecturally it features the distinctive simplistic gable roof form with plain window ledges with double hung six pane windows and a single storey verandah with a concave striped corrugated iron roof with a small step down every couple of houses with chimneys in between. The individual houses are defined by their doorways and the rainwater downpipes which descend their facades. This row is part of the Glebe Estate, a precinct heritage registered for its extensive stands of Victorian terraces including post-Regency examples such as this.