Posts Tagged ‘1885’
This colourful freestanding unnamed Victorian terrace, built in 1885 has an interesting parapet – a central urn atop a raised with a wreath draped between two corbels – makes a clear mannerist and free classical statement. The otherwise plain symmetrical terrace house achieves some quirkiness through the wave verandah roof, which like the parapet also functions to hide roof elements from street level. The party walls are modest in decoration by comparison to the parapet.
Sydney’s Newtown has many impressively intact rows of Victorian terrace houses on relatively flat terrain and this terrace forms part of an impressive row or eight overlooking Hollis Park which was formerly known as L’Avenue. These end terraces, tall for two storeys, are in the distinctive Queen Anne style terrace has a fanciful gothic feel thanks to its tall gables with frilly wooden bargeboards and tall wooden finials on a steep slate roof. The roof features tall picturesque chimneys complete with patterned mouldings. The two gables frame a large bay window which goes up the full two storeys with a small slate roof in the gable. The terraces are mirrored at the other end of the row, which has taller Italianate houses in between, however 7 and 8 have been substantially compromised and barely recognisable with enclosed verandahs and other later additions.
Petrie Mansions, a row of three double storey terrace houses is possibly Brisbane’s finest Victorian terraced row that remains (partly) residential as one ne of the houses is privately owned.
The Petrie Estate land sale began in 1883 and the majority of the terraces along Petrie Terrace were completed just before the Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act 1885 came into full effect, this row was originally known as “Illawarra”. As a result this fairly intact row of terraces is extremely rare in Brisbane and it is one of just a couple in the entire city. Many of the terraces built at the time used the sub-tropical Queenslander style hipped corrugated iron roof and Petrie Mansions was no exception.
Magnolia Flats (formerly Magnolia Terrace) is a row of five three storey Victorian terrace houses (with English style basements) in Forest Lodge.
The signage on the central parapet has the name and date (1885).
The most interesting aspect of this terrace is the large driveway arch at the end terrace which would have once let horses to back stables. The end terrace has rooms extending over this arch and the party wall extends to the street as a gate post with an urn to allow for a complete, uninterrupted streetscape.