Posts Tagged ‘1886’
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
While much of Zetland is undergoing urban renewal as part of the Green Square project, a small pocket of the original Waterloo estate developed mostly in the 1885 stands much as it did, the Zetland Conservation Area1. The row of three double storey Italianate terrace homes is named “Elsie Terrace” and was erected in 1886 as indicated on its central pediment.
- City of Sydney Heritage Development Control Plan CA53 Zetland Estate ↩
Byrne Terrace was a row of five double storey terraces on Wickham Terrace in Brisbane. It was completed in 1886 by developer George Byrne, just before the subdivision act which effectively stopped further terrace development, this row of houses overlooked the growing city and its river. Byrne terrace was built for the wealthy and was occupied by businessmen, doctors and medical professionals some of who used the houses as consulting rooms.
Maud Terrace in Junee is one of those very rare examples of a rural terrace house. Its development harks back to the days when Junee was a gold rush boomtown. Junee is located betwen Wagga Wagga and Cootamundra on the main railway line between Sydney and Melbourne. Gold was discovered in the 1860s and by the 1880s Junee was a very prosperous place. Maud Terrace is just out of the centre of town and the row of four terraces built in 1886 would have been a speculative development.