Posts Tagged ‘1888’
This row of three single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces mid way along the block is probably most notable for sporting a rare piece of Australiana – a kookaburra motif in its iron lacework. According to expert on cast iron lacework Graeme Robertson, just a couple examples of this pattern in use exist, and one of them, at 16 Chatsworth Road, Prahran was demolished a couple of decades ago. This may be the only row of houses existing in Australia with this pattern.
Cook Terrace is a landmark along the Brisbane River at Coronation Drive. It is a three storey row of six Victorian buildings dating back to 1888-1889.
Cook Terrace is currently used as offices as part of a prominent business park, however the terrace has had a long and interesting history.
It was originally built as flats rather than terrace houses by builder Joseph Blain Cook to exploit a loophole in the Queensland Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act of 1885 and avoid subsequent penalties. However like similar houses in Melbourne and Sydney, the row was aimed squarely at well-to-do tenants.
Avonmore Terrace is currently a boutique hotel located opposite Alison Park in Randwick. Built in 1888 by John Walsh the triple storey row of nine terraces contains 23 rooms rich in interior detail. Pictured above is the middle terrace which is its most interesting feature. A central Italianate style tower helps the terrace to appear as one massive mansion. The mid terrace is the width of two terraces plus the tower and entry. The entry features a keystoned arch with banded columns topped by a brief flat arched loggia with balustrade. A single round arched window with keystone and voussoir is flanked by prominent classical pilasters with entablature. At the top of the tower, an open bottom pediment with the name Avonmore is topped by a cross motif. Every third terrace has a triangular pediment on the parapet to give symmetry and a point of reference in between.