Posts Tagged ‘19th century’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
Musbury Terrace is a row of six terraced houses and one of Perth’s few single storey rows. Built in 18971, each house consisted five rooms, kitchen bath and pantry.2 Architecturally the cottages are minimalist, with a horizontal parapet decorated only by urns atop each party wall and vermiculation, bullnose verandahs and iron lace consisting of a shallow fringe and brackets.
Lithgow is one of the few places in the Blue Mountains area where you can find terraced housing and many of the working class terraces there served as housing for the mining and industry in the 19th century. This row of four double storey terraces is situated in the Pottery Estate and likely dates to the 1880s, most probably serving as homes for those working at the local colliery which opened in 1873.1 Architecturally they are interesting for the materials and lack of significant ornament.
- NSW Heritage record 1960330 ↩
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
This row of fifteen double storey terraces, erected in 1897 is the longest remaining in Perth and Western Australia and has an intriguing history. Named after cartage contractor Robert Baker,1 it was condemned by the government in the 1950s and only narrowly escaping the wrecking ball.2