Posts Tagged ‘adaptive reuse’
The first in our regional series on Goulburn in New South Wales, this impressive row of three impressive row of three consisting of two triple storey with attic and one single storey currently operates as the Alpine Heritage Motel. It was once a symmetrical arrangement of four terrace houses built in 1872 and modified in 1880. In 1893, the separate houses were conjoined to become a temperance hotel known as “Metropolitan Coffee Palace”1 and later “Stock’s Coffee Palace”.2 The terrace to the left was demolished at a later date and an attic level was added during conversion to accommodation in the 1990s.
Once in a row of either seven or eight, this pair is all that remains of the Georgian revival (or Colonnial Regency) styled Horbury Terrace. Named after Horbury in Yorkshire England, which was the home of owner Thomas Holt it was built for Ouseley Condell. The houses were triple storey with basements. Details of its construction vary by source with some sources quoting a construction date of 18361 while the official plaque on the building from the Royal Australian Historical Society states 1842, engravings of it date to 1848.2
This row of four unnamed terraces in Sydney’s Chippendale adjacent to the Shannon Hotel (built in 1912) is difficult to date and unfortunately not on any official heritage list. Interesting for their subdued, almost Georgian architectural appearance, while typical of 1860s industrial housing in Ultimo, modifications over the years reveal some of the mystery to their past.
Historic Portland, Victoria’s first settlement and early whaling colony has a number of remnant timber and bluestone cottages that are similar in some ways to terrace housing. This unusual single storey row of three terraces was the result of a 1913-14 extension of a former hotel known as the “Builder’s Inn”, one of Portland’s earliest hotels originally erected in 1849.
This row of four double storey shophouses in Sydney’s Pyrmont were originally terrace houses built in 1890 but they’ve suffered quite a lot in the conversion.
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.