Posts Tagged ‘adelaide’
Another row of double storey terrace houses in Adelaide’s Hurtle Square, this time a row of four which I find interesting for its contrasting use of corrugated iron verandah roof forms of the end terraces. The verandah of the remodelled house at 23 Hurtle Square breaks the rhythm and adds interest through its concave roof, contrasting detail and colour scheme.
Bermingham Terrace is a row of four double storey ashlar bluestone terraces completed in February, 1884 and originally numbered 6701, designed in the Regency style so popular in Adelaide at the time. Currently they are used as houses, including “Wisteria Terrace” which operates as a bed and breakfast. The others remain used as houses. They form an important terraced city streetscape and are very typical of those in Adelaide, however with some distinctive features.
- South Australian Register. Advertising p8 21 February 1884 ↩
The row of four double storey bluestone terrace houses in this photo was built in 1878 one of several speculative developments by builder Simon Harvey. The terrace presents mainly to Carrington Street but has sides facing Royal Place and Pulteney Street and forms part of a magnificent collection of Victorian era terraces around Hurtle Square. The most notable aspects of this terrace is the dominance of the roof, the unusual spacing of verandah posts, the positioning above the city footpath and the wholeness of the composition.
Albert Terrace is one of the largest Victorian terraces ever built in Adelaide. The large graceful row of nine double storey terraced houses erected in 1880 is typical of the Adelaide style with its bluestone and cream render but features a high central Italianate parapet which breaks front more inkeeping with similar sized Melbourne terraces.
This row of four double storey houses fronts Hurtle Square but also presents an end terrace to Halifax Street is named “Darcy Lever Terrace” is typical of the Adelaide style but a great individual example. Constructed in local basalt with mostly timber verandahs they were built in 1878 by Simon Harvey.
Botanic Chambers is an an addition to Adelaide’s historic Botanic Hotel designed by architect McMullen and built between 1876 and 1877 to mirror the style of the hotel which also extends toward East Terrace.