Posts Tagged ‘ashlar’
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.
Another row of double storey terrace houses in Adelaide’s Hurtle Square, this time a row of four which I find interesting for its contrasting use of corrugated iron verandah roof forms of the end terraces. The verandah of the remodelled house at 23 Hurtle Square breaks the rhythm and adds interest through its concave roof, contrasting detail and colour scheme.
Bermingham Terrace is a row of four double storey ashlar bluestone terraces completed in February, 1884 and originally numbered 6701, designed in the Regency style so popular in Adelaide at the time. Currently they are used as houses, including “Wisteria Terrace” which operates as a bed and breakfast. The others remain used as houses. They form an important terraced city streetscape and are very typical of those in Adelaide, however with some distinctive features.
- South Australian Register. Advertising p8 21 February 1884 ↩
Pembroke Terrace is a row of six Georgian style sandstone terraced houses was built around 1860 and were among the first wave of terraced housing in Surry Hills. Originally part of a row of 21 houses completed in 1871 most of which has since been demolished, clear photographs of the terrace soon after its completion are some of the best preserved images of the nature of early speculative development in Sydney1 2, even illustrate the use of cast iron bootscrapers and early rainwater systems and attracted a mix of middle class and working class occupants.3
These sandstone terraces probably date back to the early 1860s, probably when new buildng codes were introduced for high party walls. The row of eight houses are quite Georgian in their layout, even though they feature the Victorian cast iron lacework (albeit restrained) including balustrade, brackets and short fringe on the upper level and brackets (some missing) and palisade fences at ground level.