Posts Tagged ‘bluestone’
Formerly a row of four, the remaining three of this row of single storey Queen Anne terraced cottages tells the sad tale of heritage in Melbourne’s Hawthorn which is being assailed by development from all directions. Just a stones throw from the magnificent Auburn Road precinct reknowned for its late Victorian streetscapes, this row however has no heritage protection and it shows. One of the end terraces (28) has already been demolished to become a rear access driveway for a showroom/factory complete with a lovely barb wire fence. The row is unfortunately heavily obscured by evergreen shrubs. The terrace pictured (number 26) which although unoccupied and derelect is in the most original condition, but currently advertised for sale as a development site.
Bermingham Terrace is a row of four double storey ashlar bluestone terraces completed in February, 1884 and originally numbered 6701, designed in the Regency style so popular in Adelaide at the time. Currently they are used as houses, including “Wisteria Terrace” which operates as a bed and breakfast. The others remain used as houses. They form an important terraced city streetscape and are very typical of those in Adelaide, however with some distinctive features.
- South Australian Register. Advertising p8 21 February 1884 ↩
Another interesting little row of terraces which is (at the time of writing) not covered by heritage controls. What I find most interesting about these Victorian Regency style terraces is the way that the architect or builder has attempted to address and express the glently sloping topography of the street. Only one of this row of three double storey terraces is stepped up, yet the treatment of the big bold cornice is noteworthy. The cornice, parapet and string course dynamically curves upward in an almost baroque statement accentuating the step down. The other end terrace (formerly a corner shop or pub) projects forward to the street with a splayed corner (topped by feature parapet flanked by scrolls) in another unusual relationship. The combination and composition is quite rare, especially for Melbourne.
The row of four double storey bluestone terrace houses in this photo was built in 1878 one of several speculative developments by builder Simon Harvey. The terrace presents mainly to Carrington Street but has sides facing Royal Place and Pulteney Street and forms part of a magnificent collection of Victorian era terraces around Hurtle Square. The most notable aspects of this terrace is the dominance of the roof, the unusual spacing of verandah posts, the positioning above the city footpath and the wholeness of the composition.
Albert Terrace is one of the largest Victorian terraces ever built in Adelaide. The large graceful row of nine double storey terraced houses erected in 1880 is typical of the Adelaide style with its bluestone and cream render but features a high central Italianate parapet which breaks front more inkeeping with similar sized Melbourne terraces.
Botanic Chambers is an an addition to Adelaide’s historic Botanic Hotel designed by architect McMullen and built between 1876 and 1877 to mirror the style of the hotel which also extends toward East Terrace.