Despite the name (along with the date of construction) appearing centrally on its parapet, confusion over the naming of this terrace parallels its sketchy history. Today this row of four classic double storey Victorian houses is recognised by the name “Bodford Terrace”, however even during its early years it was also referred to as “Bedford Terrace”, perhaps a case of mistaken identity. The origin of the name and its developer, most likely is obscure. What is known is that it is among Carlton’s earliest terraces, erected in 1868, predating the 1880s boom, however since its initial construction it has gone through signficant stages of appreciation and neglect.
More information »