Posts Tagged ‘brown brick’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
Lithgow is one of the few places in the Blue Mountains area where you can find terraced housing and many of the working class terraces there served as housing for the mining and industry in the 19th century. This row of four double storey terraces is situated in the Pottery Estate and likely dates to the 1880s, most probably serving as homes for those working at the local colliery which opened in 1873.1 Architecturally they are interesting for the materials and lack of significant ornament.
- NSW Heritage record 1960330 ↩
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2
Miller’s Point has a large number of terrace rows, however many differ from typical terraces in their Edwardian style and their unusual layout and arrangement. There are at least six massive rows of such terraces near the harbour at High Street and Windmill Street along Walsh Bay and a redevelopment area which is now called Barangaroo. At least four of these rows are nearly carbon copies.