Despite the name (along with the date of construction) appearing centrally on its parapet, confusion over the naming of this terrace parallels its sketchy history. Today this row of four classic double storey Victorian houses is recognised by the name “Bodford Terrace”, however even during its early years it was also referred to as “Bedford Terrace”, perhaps a case of mistaken identity. The origin of the name and its developer, most likely is obscure. What is known is that it is among Carlton’s earliest terraces, erected in 1868, predating the 1880s boom, however since its initial construction it has gone through signficant stages of appreciation and neglect.
More information »
George’s Terrace is a row of four double storey houses, built in 1905 by George Ievers, a realtor and speculator.
Drummond Terrace (built 1890-1891 to the design of Walter Scott Law) is the longest and largest three storey terrace row in Melbourne in one of Carlton’s most terraced wide streets. The row of seven triple storey terraces features long rendered loggia of round arches and balustrades, notably deviating from the popular filligree style of the period. A central free classical pediment and blind porthole marks the mid terrace, while interesting false chimney motifs mark the mid point of each individual terrace in the row.
Mary’s Terrace in Carlton is no longer used for residential purposes. Built in 1885, it is now adaptively used as offices, like many in the area – for educational purposes. Most recently it is owned and tenanted by RMIT, using it as Building 76 (School of Education) as well as being home to the Australian Education Union branch; Building 43 (Student and Counselling Services) and Building 69.