Despite the name (along with the date of construction) appearing centrally on its parapet, confusion over the naming of this terrace parallels its sketchy history. Today this row of four classic double storey Victorian houses is recognised by the name “Bodford Terrace”, however even during its early years it was also referred to as “Bedford Terrace”, perhaps a case of mistaken identity. The origin of the name and its developer, most likely is obscure. What is known is that it is among Carlton’s earliest terraces, erected in 1868, predating the 1880s boom, however since its initial construction it has gone through signficant stages of appreciation and neglect.
More information »
While architecturally simple and missing their iron lacework decorations, these four single storey row houses are of a style that is actually quite rare in Melbourne but proliferated in the 1870s in inner Sydney areas such as Glebe and Newtown where extensive rows can be found (example 31-42 Mitchell Street, Glebe). What is distinctive about this style is not the transverse gable configuration, but the combination of the blade party walls, central chimney, slate tile and banded paint (cream and maroon) concave corrugated iron verandahs referred to as Post-regency in Sydney. Constructed between 1870-1872, they were built for John Marley who lived at number 33 and remained their owner until the 1890s.1
This row of four typical Italianate double storey Melbourne terraces is situated in Parkville which is a small are with one of the most beautifully preserved stands of terraces in Australia. While the rendered terrace is more subdued than others in the area, there are still some subtle but interesting horizontality emphasised by the cornice and the linear friezes of the verandah and repetitive parapet which is relatively intact with its ball finials.
This freestanding boom style terrace in great condition was originally built in 1891 by Alfred Taylor and is part of a subdivision with direct frontage to beautiful Fawkner Park.
George’s Terrace is a row of four double storey houses, built in 1905 by George Ievers, a realtor and speculator.
Shoreham is a grand freestanding terrace style house with boom style characterstics although it was built some time after the boom in 1898 and classified as Edwardian.
This rare pair of three storey terraces is one of a handful of original terraces remaining in the Melbourne Central Business District (CBD) and has had an interesting life. It was originally designed by prominent architect Lloyd Tayler. Shortly after its constuction in 1886 the terraces were converted into a private hospital known as Lonsdale House. It was used for a brief time by the navy during World War I, served as a music academy, nurses hostel and again a hospital during World War II. After the war it became the offices of the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) before being absorbed into the construction of the County Court complex in the 1990s.