Posts Tagged ‘corner shop’
While much of Zetland is undergoing urban renewal as part of the Green Square project, a small pocket of the original Waterloo estate developed mostly in the 1885 stands much as it did, the Zetland Conservation Area1. The row of three double storey Italianate terrace homes is named “Elsie Terrace” and was erected in 1886 as indicated on its central pediment.
- City of Sydney Heritage Development Control Plan CA53 Zetland Estate ↩
This row of eight double storey terrace houses has a former corner store on its end terrace situated on the corner of Lands Lane. The row runs along Australia Street between Federation Lane and Lands Lane. The houses themselves are built up to the property line on the street with their double storey verandahs. There are parapets on each house in the Melbourne style, however they stagger up the hills either singularly or in pairs in typical Sydney fashion. The parapets hide the steeple of large gabled corrugated iron roofs with chimneys. They have a central raised curve simulating a semi-circular pediment atop a set of string courses and a circle motif with a heavy cornice below. The party walls are decorated with scrolls at the upper level and acanthus leaves and scrolls at the lower level.
This interesting row of three double storey terraces plus splayed corner shop. The corner shop has been altered at some stage. At the time the photo was taken the original render had been stripped back to expose bare bricks, however this has since been replaced and painted over. While the bare brick treatment that was common in fashionable 1960s renovations looked quaint it exposed porous brick and grout which made them susceptible to water ingress. The regency style corner shop is notable for the large decorative urns which grace its parapet as well as the fine brackets on its cornice, Georgian style door and window mouldings and corner balconette.
Starting at the street corner of Cassell Street, this row of three terraced houses displays different states of maintenance. Unfortunately none of them are heritage protected, putting the entire row at risk given that the dilapiated end terrace was sold in 2012.
This row of six single storey rendered brick Victorian era terraces is the longest of several single storey rows along Lydiard Street. The row marches down the hill and terminates in an end terrace shop on the Seymour Street corner.
This row of six single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces is the longest of several single storey rows along Lydiard Street. The row marches down the hill and terminates in an end terrace shop on the Macarthur Street corner. The terraces themselves are wide with a central door and a prominently banded facade with double column support filligree verandahs and feature original cast iron fences. The roof features decorated eaves and a visible low pitched profile with two banded chimneys.