Posts Tagged ‘corrugated iron roof’
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2
While Bourke Street in Redfern and Darlinghurst is more known for terrace housing busy Bourke Street in Waterloo is mostly industrial. There is however a small section of late 19th Century workers cottages along the street in Waterloo with a handful of double storey houses. This house is one of the northernmost of this stretch, with industrial buildings directly to the north. The most suprising thing about this house is that it has been modernised really recently (within the last few years) with the fine patterned iron lacework removed completely in favour of horizontal timber slats.
Attached housing is rare in Ararat, a gold rush city, however a handful of single storey examples can still be found, mostly on the main roads leading into town.
This particular pair can be found north of the Western Highway between King and Princes Street and backs onto the railway reserve within very close proximity to the railway station.
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.