Posts Tagged ‘double fronted’
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.
Port Fairy, known as Belfast (after the Irish city) during the early Victorian era was one of the colony’s early thriving coastal settlements and was much the same size as it is today. So it is not really suprising to find quite a number of semi-detached and terraced “cottages” about the town. Unlike other Victorian cities, however due to the 1850s origins, the majority of Port Fairy’s cottages are mostly a very subdued Georgian style of double fronted home (influenced by Irish architecture) similar to those found in southern Tasmania. That makes this pair all the more interesting as it is probably more akin to the South Australian colonial terrace with its simple wooden verandah decorations.
This row of three single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces mid way along the block is probably most notable for sporting a rare piece of Australiana – a kookaburra motif in its iron lacework. According to expert on cast iron lacework Graeme Robertson, just a couple examples of this pattern in use exist, and one of them, at 16 Chatsworth Road, Prahran was demolished a couple of decades ago. The terraces were built in 1888 as homes for Ballarat’s middle class. This may be the only row of terraces existing in Australia with this pattern.
Avonmore Terrace is currently a boutique hotel located opposite Alison Park in Randwick. Built in 1888 by John Walsh the triple storey row of nine terraces contains 23 rooms rich in interior detail. Pictured above is the middle terrace which is its most interesting feature.