Terraces aren’t as common in Kew as other Melbourne suburbs, but there are still a few around. This pair was completed in 1892 for William Grace.1 Stawell, originally known as Biggin and Princess are architecturally, the pair is fairly typical of the style seen elsewhere in Melbourne, though fewer of this style were built elsewhere in the 1890s.
More information »
Like a number former terrace houses around inner Melbourne, this row of two former homes since 1995 has been used as a brothel1 (known as “Manhattan Terrace” and 556 formerly as “Club 556”). The otherwise elegant Victorian Italianate pair were built in 1880 and unlike many used for similar purposes appears to be in remarkably good condition externally, with their elaborate detail and symmetry, including their parapet urn and balustrade largely intact (although the windows, doors and transoms have been modified).
Riversleigh is Bairnsdale’s most majestic pair of terrace houses. Built in 1883-4 and attributed to R T Vincent1 tThe semi-detached pair was built to maximise views across the magnificent Mitchell River on the northern edge of the central business district. It is part of a heritage precinct which includes neighbouring Wahroonga mansion and the Bairnsdale courthouse.
The Clifton Hill estate was developed in the 1870s and with its own railway station opening in 1888 quickly sprouted a number of boom terrace rows. This row of seven (including corner shop) erected the same year in the Queen Anne style and is one of the most consistent and richly decorated in suburban Melbourne. They were developed by T Smith for Charles Abbott in 18881
Despite the name (along with the date of construction) appearing centrally on its parapet, confusion over the naming of this terrace parallels its sketchy history. Today this row of four classic double storey Victorian houses is recognised by the name “Bodford Terrace”, however even during its early years it was also referred to as “Bedford Terrace”, perhaps a case of mistaken identity. The origin of the name and its developer, most likely is obscure. What is known is that it is among Carlton’s earliest terraces, erected in 1868, predating the 1880s boom, however since its initial construction it has gone through signficant stages of appreciation and neglect.
This row of four typical Italianate double storey Melbourne terraces is situated in Parkville which is a small are with one of the most beautifully preserved stands of terraces in Australia. While the rendered terrace is more subdued than others in the area, there are still some subtle but interesting horizontality emphasised by the cornice and the linear friezes of the verandah and repetitive parapet which is relatively intact with its ball finials.
This freestanding boom style terrace in great condition was originally built in 1891 by Alfred Taylor and is part of a subdivision with direct frontage to beautiful Fawkner Park.