Posts Tagged ‘filigree’
Some 14 kilometres east of Melbourne’s CBD, close to Surrey Hills railway station can be found this rare and grand freestanding double storey terrace house named “Surreyford”.
This terrace was erected in 1889, a year after the railway to Lilydale was duplicated and it is one of a number of homes of this era built nearby although they are mostly single storey villas.
Avonmore Terrace is currently a boutique hotel located opposite Alison Park in Randwick. Built in 1888 by John Walsh the triple storey row of nine terraces contains 23 rooms rich in interior detail. Pictured above is the middle terrace which is its most interesting feature. A central Italianate style tower helps the terrace to appear as one massive mansion. The mid terrace is the width of two terraces plus the tower and entry. The entry features a keystoned arch with banded columns topped by a brief flat arched loggia with balustrade. A single round arched window with keystone and voussoir is flanked by prominent classical pilasters with entablature. At the top of the tower, an open bottom pediment with the name Avonmore is topped by a cross motif. Every third terrace has a triangular pediment on the parapet to give symmetry and a point of reference in between.