Posts Tagged ‘filligree’
This row of three single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces mid way along the block is probably most notable for sporting a rare piece of Australiana – a kookaburra motif in its iron lacework. According to expert on cast iron lacework Graeme Robertson, just a couple examples of this pattern in use exist, and one of them, at 16 Chatsworth Road, Prahran was demolished a couple of decades ago. This may be the only row of houses existing in Australia with this pattern.
Bayview House is a narrow boom style terrace in a beautifully preserved row of three villas neighbouring an Edwardian terrace presumably named for the glimpses of Port Phillip which once would have been seen from its upper balcony.
Petrie Mansions, a row of three double storey terrace houses is possibly Brisbane’s finest Victorian terraced row that remains (partly) residential as one ne of the houses is privately owned.
The Petrie Estate land sale began in 1883 and the majority of the terraces along Petrie Terrace were completed just before the Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act 1885 came into full effect, this row was originally known as “Illawarra”. As a result this fairly intact row of terraces is extremely rare in Brisbane and it is one of just a couple in the entire city. Many of the terraces built at the time used the sub-tropical Queenslander style hipped corrugated iron roof and Petrie Mansions was no exception.