Posts Tagged ‘keystones’
This row of four double storey houses fronts Hurtle Square but also presents an end terrace to Halifax Street is named “Darcy Lever Terrace” is typical of the Adelaide style but a great individual example. Constructed in local basalt with mostly timber verandahs they were built in 1878 by Simon Harvey.
The roof is hipped with plain rendered chimneys and double wooden eaves brackets. The terraces have rendered mouldings with keystoned window surrounds, the keystones featuring vermiculation and string course moulding to visually separate the floors at the end terrace. The side facades have a brick pattern while the front facade.
Sobraon is a magnificent row of three storey terrace houses in Paddington, Sydney is an unusual Italianate composition. The name could have come from a clipper of the same name which was regularly moored at Rose Bay between 1867-1871 and the largest composite ship ever built1 (itself named for a war in Punjab India in the 1840s) the sails and masts which may well have once been visible in the distant harbour from the rear of these homes. The mid terrace is notably wider than either flanking terrace.
These terrace houses, largely hidden by trees, are of a most unusual design. Looking similar in appearance to a Manhattan brownstone, they feature an exaggerated Italianate mannerist (or baroque) style using stucco and mouldings to simulate heavy stone in stark contrast to the iron lacework inspired filigree terraces of the street.
Perhaps the most impressive feature of this tall freestanding Victorian terrace in Sydney’s inner north is the triple storey verandah, replete with iron lacework. Although the upper storey with its bullnose roof is missing its brackets the terrace has fringes, brackets and decorative cast iron columns on every level. This is rare for a Sydney terrace as most typically have verandahs only the bottom or bottom two storeys.
Botanic Chambers is an an addition to Adelaide’s historic Botanic Hotel designed by architect McMullen and built between 1876 and 1877 to mirror the style of the hotel which also extends toward East Terrace.
The very English Italianate terraces were built in bluestone with stuccoed decrations incorporating classical elements including quoining, parapets, faceted bay windows on the ground floor and large aediculed windows on the upper storeys. The terrace has a prominent fence and gateposts which complete the composition. Cast iron lacework balconies were later added. The terraces complement the large collection of classic buildings which line North Terrace.