Posts Tagged ‘maisonette’
This little pair of attached houses dates back to 1863 and was designed by the reknowned local architect Robert Smith Dods1. Originally each house was comprised of five rooms and a kitchen.2 The building later became known as Callender House and had long been associated with members of the church.
Miller’s Point has a large number of terrace rows, however many differ from typical terraces in their Edwardian style and their unusual layout and arrangement. There are at least six massive rows of such terraces near the harbour at High Street and Windmill Street along Walsh Bay and a redevelopment area which is now called Barangaroo. At least four of these rows are nearly carbon copies.
Magnolia Flats (formerly Magnolia Terrace) is a row of five three storey Victorian terrace houses (with English style basements) in Forest Lodge. The signage on the central parapet has the name and date (1885). The most interesting aspect of this terrace is the large driveway arch at the end terrace which would have once let horses to back stables. The end terrace has rooms extending over this arch and the party wall extends to the street as a gate post with an urn to allow for a complete, uninterrupted streetscape. (Photo by J Bar licenced under CC-SA” width=”400″ height=”300″ />