Despite the name (along with the date of construction) appearing centrally on its parapet, confusion over the naming of this terrace parallels its sketchy history. Today this row of four classic double storey Victorian houses is recognised by the name “Bodford Terrace”, however even during its early years it was also referred to as “Bedford Terrace”, perhaps a case of mistaken identity. The origin of the name and its developer, most likely is obscure. What is known is that it is among Carlton’s earliest terraces, erected in 1868, predating the 1880s boom, however since its initial construction it has gone through signficant stages of appreciation and neglect.
More information »
Ballarat Terrace, built in 1889, is about as close to the Melbourne boom style of terrace that you can find outside of Melbourne. The terrace is fully restored and operates as a bed and breakfast. It was designed for publican Hugh Raverty by local architect firm James and Piper.1
Drummond Terrace (built 1890-1891 to the design of Walter Scott Law) is the longest and largest three storey terrace row in Melbourne in one of Carlton’s most terraced wide streets. The row of seven triple storey terraces features long rendered loggia of round arches and balustrades, notably deviating from the popular filligree style of the period. A central free classical pediment and blind porthole marks the mid terrace, while interesting false chimney motifs mark the mid point of each individual terrace in the row.