Posts Tagged ‘polychrome’
This impressive row of eight double storey boom style polychrome terraces, captured by Alastair Lamont, is situated close to the “Windy Hill” Essendon football ground (home of AFL’s Essendon Bombers). Suprisingly for such a rare substantial suburban row, these homes are not even afforded local heritage protection under the Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme.1 Though they appear to be generally well looked after and highly sought after.
- Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme ↩
As a lover of both the gold rush city of Bendigo and the variety of terraced housing to be found there it is suprising to find that while heritage overlays exist across most of Bendigo, this single storey row of three homes simply named “Terraces” in suburban Ironbark is afforded no heritage protection. This is despite an Ironbark heritage study being published as recently as 2010.1
- Ironbark Heritage Study 2010 ↩
Maitland is one of those regional heritage cities that definitely punches above its weight when it comes to terraces. The city has some good examples of both double and single storey terrace housing that have their own regional variation and flavour. This row of four terraces in Catherine Street reminds me of many from Adelaide, though it is particularly interesting for its detail and polychrome brickwork and refined use of ironwork verandah decoration …
This pair of semi-detached weatherboard terraces in Golden Point close to Canadian Creek, just south of the Ballarat CBD has an exceptionally rare feature of such houses in Australia, northern European style clipped or half-hipped gables. Combined with their projective eaves and brackets and other timber decorative detail and mouldings (including six panelled timber Victorian style doors surrounded by sidelights, fanlight and paired double hung windows), bullnosed verandahs, iron lace fringe and brackets and tall polychrome brick chimney and party walls, this is a most distinctive pair of cottages.
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2