Posts Tagged ‘pyrmont’
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2
This row of four double storey shophouses in Sydney’s Pyrmont were originally terrace houses built in 1890 but they’ve suffered quite a lot in the conversion.
Pyrmont has some impressive long stretches of terrace houses. While the vast majority were built in Sydney’s Harris and Macarthur estates during the 1870s and 1880s with decorative iron lace, some earlier sandstone georgian working class terraces survive. The fact that this working class row of ten was built in brick as early as 1860 sets it apart.