Posts Tagged ‘queensland heritage register’
This little pair of attached houses dates back to 1863 and was designed by the reknowned local architect Robert Smith Dods1. Originally each house was comprised of five rooms and a kitchen.2 The building later became known as Callender House and had long been associated with members of the church.
Harris Terrace is one of Brisbane’s rare terraces. Built in 1867 by local businessman George Harris who named the terraces for himself and designed by J & G Cowlishaw, Harris Terrace was aimed at providing accommodation for the Brisbane bourgeoisie. It was renamed “Harris Court” following the common nomenclature for prestige flats in the 1920s, however the name and date on the central parapet plaque remains.