Posts Tagged ‘queensland’
This little pair of attached houses dates back to 1863 and was designed by the reknowned local architect Robert Smith Dods1. Originally each house was comprised of five rooms and a kitchen.2 The building later became known as Callender House and had long been associated with members of the church.
Located on the corner of Princess Street and Petrie Terrace, this row of four attached workers cottages on the fringe of the central business district was built in an era when Brisbane was still without public transport. Forming part of the historic Petrie Terrace group of terraces and cottages, its prominently steep gable roof is free of projecting party walls and each cottage is marked only by paired dormer windows and shared chimneys between each pair. This is probably the most rustic of the remaining working cottages with its corrugated iron roof clearly corroding. The addition of an interwar shopfront on the corner obscures one of the end terraces.
I became aware of this small but tall row of unnamed terrace houses when Today Tonight did a story on them. Hidden in a small lane off Wickham Terrace, they are currently owned by Astor Hotel Apartments and hired out as budget accommodation. According to the segment, some guests were not happy with their apparent poor interior condition.
This little row of two rare single storey terraces is notable for its use of wood lattice screens and lattice door which fully encloses its verandah to moderate the hot and humid subtropical conditions. The worker style cottages march down the slope of hilly Union street but is otherwise modest in design.
The Mansions is a Brisbane landmark. The huge row of six three storey terraces were built in 1889 to the design of G.H.M Addison and is a rare example of the American Romanesque style being applied to a row of terraced homes. The building features some unique characteristics, including cat gargoyles on the corners of the parapet which is a balustrade. The long limestone loggia are a substitute to the iron lacework typical of Australian terraces.
Built in 1858 by Matthew Goggs, this row of five single storey brick terraces with attic level is one of the few built in a Queensland provincial city. The photo was taken just prior to its demolition in 1936, however even then the row was showing its age. In the 1860s Ipswich, a booming mining town, rivaled penal Brisbane in terms of importance and many grand homes and terraces anticipated its further growth. However history shows that Brisbane became the colony’s capital, quickly outgrew and absorbed Ipswich in its rapidly expanding western suburbs.