Posts Tagged ‘row of five’
Launceston is blessed with a wide variety of terrace styles. Wellington Terrace, a row of five homes exhibits a particularly rare variation with its prominent double storey loggia, a terrace style more common in places such as Drummond Street Carlton or East Melbourne. Architecturally it makes a striking statement with minimal ornament, apart from its rythmic row of arches, Italianate balustrade, pilasters and cornice treatment. The loggia and verandah dating to 1911 is likely an addition to the front of an earlier Victorian era terrace given that other architectural features including windows, doors and their mouldings appear to date to the late 1870s to mid 1880s. Another striking feature is its central narrow arched carriageway topped by its pediment name plate which bears its name ‘Wellington Terrace’.
Glebe, like Paddington is one of those areas where you can almost get lost in the uniformity of the long stretches of double storey terraces. Burton Street, set near the railway line, while not possessing many homes of great individual character is typically Sydney, but refreshingly different in its Victorian era charm with its narrow rising aspect and hodge podge of double and single storey terraces and styles. The longest row in the street is this unnamed row of five, erected in 1881.
Lorne Terrace was built in 1875 by William Jarrett1. Notable for the use of the post-Regency Georgian style, a style fairly common in Glebe for the Industrial Building Society2. Architecturally it features the distinctive simplistic gable roof form with plain window ledges with double hung six pane windows and a single storey verandah with a concave striped corrugated iron roof with a small step down every couple of houses with chimneys in between. The individual houses are defined by their doorways and the rainwater downpipes which descend their facades. This row is part of the Glebe Estate, a precinct heritage registered for its extensive stands of Victorian terraces including post-Regency examples such as this.
Although it has the outward appearance of the 1880s, this row of five Victorian era terraces is one of Sydney’s earliest, dating as far back as 1842. They were recently sold by NSW public housing for a handsome sum of money to private owners. The terraces were built by whaler Charles Grimes in the early 1840s and were depicted in artist Conrad Marten’s work in 1843. The row was completed sometime around 1848 and were originally modest shingle roofed cottages with single storey verandahs and originally had uninterrupted harbour views.1
This grand triple storey row of five houses erected in 1890 situated near Potts Point’s famous McElhone stairs is currently known as Waratah Apartments with a serviced apartments complex integrated behind the facades.
The state heritage listed terrace is notable for its rich classical styled embellishment. Victorian row houses such as this heralded Pott’s Point’s status as the ‘Regent’s Park of Sydney’.