Posts Tagged ‘row of nine’
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2
Albert Terrace is one of the largest Victorian terraces ever built in Adelaide. The large graceful row of nine double storey terraced houses erected in 1880 is typical of the Adelaide style with its bluestone and cream render but features a high central Italianate parapet which breaks front more inkeeping with similar sized Melbourne terraces.
Hackett Street is a narrow lane which runs for just two blocks. One side of the block between Pier Street and Macarthur Street is completely lined in terrace houses. Pictured is actually three identical rows of nine double storey working class terraces.
Avonmore Terrace is currently a boutique hotel located opposite Alison Park in Randwick. Built in 1888 by John Walsh the triple storey row of nine terraces contains 23 rooms rich in interior detail. Pictured above is the middle terrace which is its most interesting feature. A central Italianate style tower helps the terrace to appear as one massive mansion. The mid terrace is the width of two terraces plus the tower and entry. The entry features a keystoned arch with banded columns topped by a brief flat arched loggia with balustrade. A single round arched window with keystone and voussoir is flanked by prominent classical pilasters with entablature. At the top of the tower, an open bottom pediment with the name Avonmore is topped by a cross motif. Every third terrace has a triangular pediment on the parapet to give symmetry and a point of reference in between.