Posts Tagged ‘row of six’
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
This row of six double storey Italianate terraces enscribed “Premier Terrace” (centre parapet), fronts Wentworth Park along the busy but tree lined Wentworth Road in Sydney’s Glebe between Mitchell Street and Park Lane and is serviced by Mitchell Lane.
Alfred Terrace (or Alfred’s Terrace) is a row of six double storey (with additional basement level) Georgian style sandstone block terraces forming part of a very intact early Victorian streetscape on Sydney’s Kent Street. Alfred’s Terrace was built between 1868 and 1870 for Sir George Wigram Allen prominent Sydney solicitor and politician.1
- pg 178 CONSERVATION MANAGEMENT GUIDELINES Housing NSW Properties Millers Point VOLUME TWO Final Draft October 2004 ↩
This row of six narrow single storey houses is set back from the street and marches gently up Auburn parade. Unfortunately overgrown with trees and difficult to photograph, as such only houses 1-3 are pictured. Each house shares a party wall, but has its own hipped roof and central chimney partially obscured by their parapets. Most likely they were originally a row of modest Italianate villas, however the entire row has had its facade modified, most likely during to the late Edwardian or interwar period, making them fairly difficult to date.
Pembroke Terrace is a row of six Georgian style sandstone terraced houses was built around 1860 and were among the first wave of terraced housing in Surry Hills. Originally part of a row of 21 houses completed in 1871 most of which has since been demolished, clear photographs of the terrace soon after its completion are some of the best preserved images of the nature of early speculative development in Sydney1 2, even illustrate the use of cast iron bootscrapers and early rainwater systems and attracted a mix of middle class and working class occupants.3
This row of six single storey rendered brick Victorian era terraces is the longest of several single storey rows along Lydiard Street. The row marches down the hill and terminates in an end terrace shop on the Seymour Street corner.