Posts Tagged ‘soldiers hill’
This row of three single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces mid way along the block is probably most notable for sporting a rare piece of Australiana – a kookaburra motif in its iron lacework. According to expert on cast iron lacework Graeme Robertson, just a couple examples of this pattern in use exist, and one of them, at 16 Chatsworth Road, Prahran was demolished a couple of decades ago. The terraces were built in 1888 as homes for Ballarat’s middle class. This may be the only row of terraces existing in Australia with this pattern.
Oberon is a freestanding single storey Italianate villa in the terrace house style. It is adaptively reused as offices. The house features what can best be described as a highly refined florid facade. In this design, the three most important elements – parapet, verandah and openings are given maximum emphasis in detail.
This row of six single storey rendered brick Victorian era terraces is the longest of several single storey rows along Lydiard Street. The row marches down the hill and terminates in an end terrace shop on the Seymour Street corner.
This row of six single storey double fronted red brick Victorian era terraces is the longest of several single storey rows along Lydiard Street. The row marches down the hill and terminates in an end terrace shop on the Macarthur Street corner. The terraces themselves are wide with a central door and a prominently banded facade with double column support filligree verandahs and feature original cast iron fences. The roof features decorated eaves and a visible low pitched profile with two banded chimneys.