Posts Tagged ‘south melbourne’

Hazelwood Terrace: 46-48 Howe Crescent, South Melbourne. Melbourne, Victoria

Hazelwood Terrace is a row of three italianate styled, elaborately and ornate stucco terraces. Howe Crescent forms part of the St Vincent Gardens street plan. These terraces were designed prior to the iron lacework trend originally designed by Clement
Hodgkinson for George Black, but with modifications by esteemed architect Charles Webb who designed Melbourne’s famous “Grand” Victorian hotel (now the Windsor).1 With a solid looking brick rendered facade modelled on stone work, this terrace is unique for the treatment of its prominent ground level balcony and arcade of classically inspired doorways.

More information »

  1. Heritage Victoria record H0222

328-344 Kings Way. South Melbourne, Victoria (demolished 2012)

One of the few remaining on Kings Way, this grand terrace was built by Robert Howard in 1890.1 While the landmark triple “boom style” storey terrace is within its own heritage overlay HO1772, sadly in 2012 the council allowed demolition of all but the facade, along with reconstruction of a noticeably inaccurately reproduction roof and dormers to incorporate the facade into the “Silverleaf” 14 storey apartment tower development which now wraps around and completely overwhelms it. The Decorative  festoons and cornice of the original have been removed in the process, contributing to its current pastiche appearance.

More information »

  1. Port Phillip Planning Report. Statutory Planning Committee 19th October 2010
  2. Port Phillip Planning Scheme Heritage Overlay

Roseneath and Culloden Cottage: 311-313 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. Victoria

Roseneath and Culloden Cottage are a fine pair of semi-detached single storey Victorian Italianate terrace houses in South Melbourne.  The most notable feature is the elaborate parapet mouldings which is strongly visually separated by a bold cornice and includes a named cartouche framed by scrolls and other mouldings in an unusual free classical composition.  Both are currently adaptively used as cafe/restaurants.

More information »

161-181 Cecil Street, South Melbourne. Melbourne, Victoria

These terraced houses are part of the Emerald Hill Estate, an entire block that was formerly occupied by the Melbourne Protestant Orphan Asylum between 1855 until 1877 and since 1974, has been government buildings and public housing.  This particular row is one of South Melbourne’s longest and most intact. 

More information »

Recent Discussion
  • Lesley Poker: Built in 1874. Originally built by a John Watson ( very wealthy) who built the one next door for his...
  • Anne: Thanks for your comment. We own one of these terraces and would be interested in any info you have.
  • Kate Van Dyck: Love this photo. One off my GG Grandfather’s lived in No 21 and died at that address. So...
Tags