Posts Tagged ‘surry hills’
Pembroke Terrace is a row of six Georgian style sandstone terraced houses was built around 1860 and were among the first wave of terraced housing in Surry Hills.
Originally part of a row of 21 houses completed in 1871 most of which has since been demolished, clear photographs of the terrace soon after its completion are some of the best preserved images of the nature of early speculative development in Sydney1 2, even illustrate the use of cast iron bootscrapers and early rainwater systems and attracted a mix of middle class and working class occupants.3
Shown here are some Surry Hills working class terraces which are build right up to the property line and march up a subtly sloping inner city street. Their facades are bare with the exception of the ledges with their little brackets and the mouldings designed to throw rain off the double hung windows and the unsympathetically harsh but necessary security grilles on the doors and windows.
This double storey row of six early Sydney terrace houses, built between 1845 and 1847, is part of the St Michaels Church Group.
Around the 1940s, a second storey was added to the verandah and closed in with brick and timber.
In 1978, the terrace was added to the Register of the National Estate for its historic significance.
However it since been returned to its original condition with painted sandstone brick and corrugated iron roof.