Posts Tagged ‘sydney’
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
Once in a row of either seven or eight, this pair is all that remains of the Georgian revival (or Colonnial Regency) styled Horbury Terrace. Named after Horbury in Yorkshire England, which was the home of owner Thomas Holt it was built for Ouseley Condell. The houses were triple storey with basements. Details of its construction vary by source with some sources quoting a construction date of 18361 while the official plaque on the building from the Royal Australian Historical Society states 1842, engravings of it date to 1848.2
Glebe, like Paddington is one of those areas where you can almost get lost in the uniformity of the long stretches of double storey terraces. Burton Street, set near the railway line, while not possessing many homes of great individual character is typically Sydney, but refreshingly different in its Victorian era charm with its narrow rising aspect and hodge podge of double and single storey terraces and styles. The longest row in the street is this unnamed row of five, erected in 1881.
Situated between a large block of 50s walk up flats and a Victorian villa on Weynton street is this vestigal pair of Victorian terraces which marches up to Piper Lane. Annandale is a surburb best known for its “Witches Houses” and this terrace stands out from nearby terraces are mostly freestanding terraces and single storey cottages. What makes this terrace interesting is some unusual features which set it apart from many others.
This row of four unnamed terraces in Sydney’s Chippendale adjacent to the Shannon Hotel (built in 1912) is difficult to date and unfortunately not on any official heritage list. Interesting for their subdued, almost Georgian architectural appearance, while typical of 1860s industrial housing in Ultimo, modifications over the years reveal some of the mystery to their past.
Set high in Pyrmont’s hills, this is one of two long and similarly designed but distinct rows of single storey cottages, like its neighbours, this row of nine is notable for its polychrome treatment and Queen Anne inspired gable design. Built in the late 1890s, sometime after 1897, the homes first appear in council rate books around 1901.1 The entire row was owned by J E Kin and let at £35.2
While Bourke Street in Redfern and Darlinghurst is more known for terrace housing busy Bourke Street in Waterloo is mostly industrial. There is however a small section of late 19th Century workers cottages along the street in Waterloo with a handful of double storey houses. This house is one of the northernmost of this stretch, with industrial buildings directly to the north. The most suprising thing about this house is that it has been modernised really recently (within the last few years) with the fine patterned iron lacework removed completely in favour of horizontal timber slats.