Posts Tagged ‘triangular pediment’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
Illustrations House is a row of two double storey Edwardian terraces. The date embellished in the facade is 1903, sources indicate that construction was completed in 1905. Named for the photography business that has operated in the adaptively reused premises since the early 1970s.1
- News Release – Jones Lang LaSalle. Perth. 5 February, 2013 ↩
This row of fifteen double storey terraces, erected in 1897 is the longest remaining in Perth and Western Australia and has an intriguing history. Named after cartage contractor Robert Baker,1 it was condemned by the government in the 1950s and only narrowly escaping the wrecking ball.2
Shakspeare Terrace (an obvious if curious mispelling of the famous Shakespeare) is a row of eight double storey Victorian Italianate terraces positioned as one of the most visible in Melbourne commanding a prime position between the Punt Road Oval (and iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground) and Richmond railway station, it is also one of the most sadly neglected terraces in Melbourne.