Posts Tagged ‘victoria’
Nepean Terrace is a significant early terrace in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens. Architecturally, it is from an era before iron lacework became popular. Instead the regency style inspired design features a single storey verandah of concave roof with an arcade of arches supported by paired wooden posts. The brackets feature elaborate carvings of floral patterns, as do the party walls and ledges with their finely moulded corbels.
Hazelwood Terrace is a row of three italianate styled, elaborately and ornate stucco terraces. Howe Crescent forms part of the St Vincent Gardens street plan. These terraces were designed prior to the iron lacework trend originally designed by Clement
Hodgkinson for George Black, but with modifications by esteemed architect Charles Webb who designed Melbourne’s famous “Grand” Victorian hotel (now the Windsor).1 With a solid looking brick rendered facade modelled on stone work, this terrace is unique for the treatment of its prominent ground level balcony and arcade of classically inspired doorways.
- Heritage Victoria record H0222
This impressive row of eight double storey boom style polychrome terraces, captured by Alastair Lamont, is situated close to the “Windy Hill” Essendon football ground (home of AFL’s Essendon Bombers). Suprisingly for such a rare substantial suburban row, these homes are not even afforded local heritage protection under the Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme.1 Though they appear to be generally well looked after and highly sought after.
- Mooney Valley Council Planning Scheme ↩
This row of four double storey Victorian filligree terraces has been adaptively used as professional suites. Given the lack of current heritage protection offered (as of 2014 it is not covered by a heritage overlay under the Stonnington planning Scheme1. Given the position of the signage on the segmental arch of the parapet which bears the name “Wilson’s Terrace”, one would think this terrace was originally a row of five with two houses on either side of the mid-terrace. However, its first mention in The Argus in 1881 advertises it as a row of four houses, each with seven rooms.2 Tenders were called for its construction in 1884 by architects W H Elleker.3 The houses were originally numbered 15-27 High Street.4