Posts Tagged ‘victorian terraces’
Musbury Terrace is a row of six terraced houses and one of Perth’s few single storey rows. Built in 18971, each house consisted five rooms, kitchen bath and pantry.2 Architecturally the cottages are minimalist, with a horizontal parapet decorated only by urns atop each party wall and vermiculation, bullnose verandahs and iron lace consisting of a shallow fringe and brackets.
St Aubyn’s is a row of six south facing double storey terrace homes erected in 1886 opposite St Stephen’s. Terraces today are a rare sight in Penrith, although others built during the period, such as a similar row of three Carlton Terrace and terraces along nearby rows in Henry Street were later demolished. An interesting feature of the central parapet is the initials ‘JB’, apparently of the builder John Brown.1 Though constructed of brick, with the rendered mustard colour of the parapet, the terraces have a solid appearance mimicking the local sandstone buildings of an earlier period.
More information »
- City of Penrith archive item 003115 ↩
Bowen Terrace is one of the longest double storey rows you’ll find in Australia but what is unusual is its location, situated in a regional city. Built in 1876 for Henry Thomas Bowen1 to the design of architect John Hale2, it is also a fine row of houses architecturally with its long uninterrupted hipped roofspan (except for its elegantly placed chimneys), central parapet and open grille cast iron columns.
The railway barracks at Albury is an important heritage registered row of 8 cottages built in 1890 as temporary rest houses for coach staff1 and believed to be the oldest of its kind remaining in Australia.
Currently in derelict condition with extensive boardings and graffiti it is protected on the NSW Heritage register. As part of the ongoing Albury railway station redevelopment urban renewal project it is being preserved for future adaptive reuse.
- Albury Railway Precinct. NSW Heritage ↩
The first in our regional series on Goulburn in New South Wales, this impressive row of three impressive row of three consisting of two triple storey with attic and one single storey currently operates as the Alpine Heritage Motel. It was once a symmetrical arrangement of four terrace houses built in 1872 and modified in 1880. In 1893, the separate houses were conjoined to become a temperance hotel known as “Metropolitan Coffee Palace”1 and later “Stock’s Coffee Palace”.2 The terrace to the left was demolished at a later date and an attic level was added during conversion to accommodation in the 1990s.