Posts Tagged ‘working class’
Lithgow is one of the few places in the Blue Mountains area where you can find terraced housing and many of the working class terraces there served as housing for the mining and industry in the 19th century. This row of four double storey terraces is situated in the Pottery Estate and likely dates to the 1880s, most probably serving as homes for those working at the local colliery which opened in 1873.1 Architecturally they are interesting for the materials and lack of significant ornament.
- NSW Heritage record 1960330 ↩
Pyrmont has some impressive long stretches of terrace houses. While the vast majority were built in Sydney’s Harris and Macarthur estates during the 1870s and 1880s with decorative iron lace, some earlier sandstone georgian working class terraces survive. The fact that this working class row of ten was built in brick as early as 1860 sets it apart.
Specimen Cottage, the oldest terrace house in Bendigo is also reputed to be the oldest house and possibly oldest buildings in the city. The row of two sandstone ashlar cottages was built in two stages. The first single storey double fronted cottage was erected in 1856 by local stonemason James Brierley. The name and date are enscribed in stone above the doorway. In 1861 he extended it with a matching double storey cottage.
Located on the corner of Princess Street and Petrie Terrace, this row of four attached workers cottages on the fringe of the central business district was built in an era when Brisbane was still without public transport. Forming part of the historic Petrie Terrace group of terraces and cottages, its prominently steep gable roof is free of projecting party walls and each cottage is marked only by paired dormer windows and shared chimneys between each pair. This is probably the most rustic of the remaining working cottages with its corrugated iron roof clearly corroding. The addition of an interwar shopfront on the corner obscures one of the end terraces.
This pair of narrow working class cottages are situated near the Victoria Street railway bridge and are distinctive due to their rustic gothic style. The style was mildly popular in the 1860s but seldom used in terrace houses in Victoria.